Friends of the Job Lane House
 HomeHistory About Us Calendar  Membership Volunteering RentalsContact
DirectionsNewsletterMembers' Page
For the latest news, visit our Facebook page
  HISTORY PAGES

The Land

The 1713 House

The 1993 Barn

The Lillian Dutton
Memorial Garden

The Lane Family

The Dutton Family

The Rufus Porter Murals

 

The history of the Job Lane Farm

The Job Lane Farm is part of an early land grant that the Great and General Court of Massachusetts made to Governor John Winthrop and his Deputy, Thomas Dudley. In 1637, the two canoed down the Concord River to survey their land, and the two great boulders known as the Brothers Rocks stand today where they agreed to divide the land.

Job passed the farm to his son, Major John Lane (1661-1714/15). When John died without a will, the court divided his land among his five children. Deacon Job Lane (1689-1762), Johnís oldest son, built the present house on his parcel of land about the time of his marriage to Martha Ruggles in 1713. The house was half the size it is today, a saltbox consisting of three small rooms downstairs and a bedchamber and a garret above.

Learn more about the 1713 House

 

© 2011 Friends of the Job Lane House, Inc. | PO Box 720, 295 North Rd., Bedford MA 01730
781-275-5643| info@joblanehouse.org